Foods that are Dangerous to Dogs
Please share this information with
other dog owners. While harmless to humans, these
common foods can be very harmful to man's best friend:
Chocolate and Cocoa
Never share your chocolate bar with your dog. The cocoa in
chocolate contains theobromine which can be extremely
dangerous to dogs and cats, sometimes resulting in death. 125
grams of cooking chocolate can be a lethal dose for a 10kg
dog, with smaller doses potentially causing vomiting, diarrhea,
cardiac failure and seizures. Symptoms may not appear for
several hours after ingestion, so contact your veterinarian
immediately if you think your dog has eaten chocolate. It's
better to be safe than sorry.
The methylated xanthine in caffeine is similar to the
theobromine in chocolate and causes similar symptoms including
vomiting and heart palpitations. Keep coffee and coffee
grounds safely away from your pet.
Both cooked and raw onions and garlic contain thiosulphate
which is toxic to dogs and most other pets. Poisoning can
occur from single ingestion or repeated ingestion of small
amounts. Initial symptoms are usually vomiting and diarrhea,
with breathlessness developing later. Garlic is less toxic but
should be used with caution, and always read the labels of
commercial baby food before allowing your pet to eat any as it
often contains onion powder.
Ham and Fat Trimmings
As much as your dog may love them, fatty and salty meats such
as ham and bacon can cause serious stomach aches and often
causes pancreatitis. You're being kind by saying 'No'.
Milk and Other Dairy Products
Dogs are lactose intolerant which means they have trouble
digesting the lactose in milk, cheese and other dairy
products. Yes, they love cheese, but they won't love the
stomach ache and diarrhea that happens later on.
You may think your dog enjoys egg nog or beer, but even small
amounts of alcohol can cause serious respiratory and cardiac
symptoms, sometimes leading to coma. Never give a pet alcohol.
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins contain a compound that is toxic to dogs
causing tremors, stomach ache, lameness and potential kidney
failure. Small dogs can also choke on grapes, so always keep
them stored safely out of reach.
Macadamia nuts are extremely toxic to dogs. 1 gram per pound
of body weight can be a lethal dose, and signs of poisoning
include muscle tremors, panting and paralysis. If ingestion
occurs contact your vet immediately.
Avocado Pits and Fruit Pips and Kernels
Avocado pits can get stuck in a dog's throat or digestive
tract and contain a toxin called persin that can make a dog
seriously ill if he chews on it. Apple and pear pips, as well
as the kernels of stone fruit contain cyanide which can be
As well as being a salmonella risk, raw eggs contain an enzyme
that decreases the absorption of biotin, causing skin and coat
problems. Raw fish can also cause a similar illness.
Yes, bones. Bones are responsible for countless trips to the
vet by dogs with serious injuries. Bones often splinter
causing lacerations to the digestive system, and can also get
lodged in the throat or gut. Consider giving your dog a
nylabone or ask your veterinarian about other treats that are
safer for your dog to chew on.
String is another common cause of emergency trips to the vet
when it gets stuck in a dog's digestive system. Ensure all
meats are free of string, and keep tied pieces of meat out of
your dog's reach as the temptation is often too much for them
Of course there are many more potentially dangerous foods, so
use common sense and ask your veterinarian about any foods you
are considering giving your dog as a treat. Keep any harmful
foods out of reach including scraps in wastebaskets and
compost bins, and reward your pet with affection, exercise and
the healthy treats he deserves. Your pooch will be grateful
for it in the long run.